Saturday, March 8, 2008

Tooth Dismay

Although there was no blood and no ER visit, this one was quite a doozy (sp?), and Camden's got the tooth to prove it, for another three years at least.

This is sooo ironic... I was going through the mail after dinner and found my insurance card for the dental insurance at my new job. The boys have never had dental insurance before, but they are young enough that I didn't think it mattered anyway. I was excited, so I announced to the boys that, as of March 1, everyone in the family was now cleared for dental work. YAY!

No joke, not an hour later, I had the boys in the bathtub and Camden was doing his usual acrobatic stunts and I was doing my usual yelling to "knock it off before you get hurt," and he was doing his usual ignoring everything I say. No sooner had the words "Mommy, I be vewy carefuw," come out of his mouth when his arm slipped out from underneath him, and he did a face plant on the edge of the tub.

He started to scream, so of course I did what any loving mother would do...I said "see, that's why I told you not to do that. I told you you were going to get hurt." I swear, I said that only after I confirmed there was no blood. When he wouldn't stop screaming, I investigated further. I gasped and said a very bad word when I saw it...

...A CHIPPED TOOTH!

It wasn't bad enough to need emergency care. It wasn't chipped high enough to bleed, and Camden was up to his old tricks within the hour. He has his first dentist appt. tomorrow just to make sure there was no root damage, and so they can put a little piece of putty on it to keep it from scraping his lip. TG for my new job and dental insurance!

It's funny. Everyone always comments that Camden looks just like Rob, and that is truer than ever. Now they have matching chipped teeth. Rob got his in a bunk bed related incident when he was nine, and it's been that way ever since. Camden's will be gone by the time he's six, but now that I think about it, we do have bunk beds for the boys. The beds are separate right now, and I think we'll keep it that way until they're old enough to know better (what age is that, 19? 20?)

No comments: